Mike began his Martindale career in 1994 and is a Vice President of the firm. He provides senior leadership, expertly manages clients’ joint venture audit and other projects, and shares his extensive industry experience and knowledge to train Martindale employees. Mike also provides expert witness and litigation support and been accepted and designated as an expert in numerous State courts and in Federal court. Mike previously worked for Conoco (now ConocoPhillips) for 13 years in various positions, including financial analysis, joint interest accounting, internal reviews, managing non-operated properties, negotiation of agreements, and settlements of joint interest and revenue audits and disputes.
Mike has provided the additional foundation to manage and provide clients with exceptional quality in our audits and litigation support areas. Mike is considered a prominent authority on Gulf of Mexico accounting issues and has performed international reviews in Australia, Barbados, and Brazil.
Mike’s expertise includes:
- Testifying as an expert witness in arbitrations and State and Federal courts on subjects including joint venture claims and custom and practice in applying exploration agreements, joint operating agreements, and Accounting Procedure provisions in oil and gas operations
- Conducting and overseeing audits for U.S. and international joint venture projects
- Conducting and overseeing audits for Gulf of Mexico shelf and Deepwater joint venture projects
- Conducting and overseeing client in-house projects on joint interest accounting and COPAS Accounting Procedure applications
- Assisting clients negotiate agreements
- Assisting clients in resolving disputes and complex joint venture issues for both operated and non-operated ventures.
Mike has actively served in various capacities in the Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies (COPAS) since 1987; positions held include:
- President of COPAS
- President of COPAS of Acadiana
- Chair of COPAS of Acadiana Audit committee
- Chair of the COPAS National Audit committee
- Chair of the COPAS Emerging Issues subcommittee
- Chair of Vehicle Rates subcommittee
- Two terms (six years) as Director on the COPAS Board of Directors
- Chair or member of more than 16 COPAS publication drafting teams
- Key participant in drafting the COPAS 2005 Accounting Procedure
- Recipient of the 2004 COPAS Eagle award
- Developer of the Knowing Your COPAS Documents (KYCD) educational series
- Participant on several COPAS special committees and task forces
Mike is an experienced speaker on joint venture topics for both public and private audiences and has given presentations to more than 25 different organizations